Friday, June 24, 2005

NBA Champions...and the Stuff they Wear


I'm basking in the glow of the Spurs' Championship today, as they are the Official NBA Team of the Brink. I heard from my people in San Antonio that there were happy fans gridlocking downtown freeways and honking their horns last night, but I haven't seen any reports of rioting or burning stores or cars. I guess we don't mess with Texas. According to this article, there were off-duty Subway employees ("a self-described sandwich artist") directing traffic with Spurs flags and septuagenarians in waist-length peroxide wigs pouring out of retirement centers to party in the streets. That's good times.

I also hear there were so many people trying to get into the Academy stores to buy Spurs championship gear that they were beyond fire code and that the people lined up outside could only come in as others left. Which begs the question: Where do they get so many hats and shirts only moments after the champion is decided? And also, what if the Pistons had won? Well, there's an interesting story about that...

ESPN.com: Tracking the Merchandise

filed: sports

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well, Huevo,
My theory on the merchandise, without reading any other articles about tracking the merchandise, is; I figure both teams have so much money flowing out of their ears and noses, they might as well both order championship gear...even if they do lose. The losing team could probably just turn around and sell on e-bay and get more money for it. My old man's not too happy about the Spurs' win, but I'm just fine with it...after all, he is from Michigan, not Texas. Hey, if you got any cool articles about planes and stuff alike, please post 'em...I'd be happy to comment.

Your #1 fan(so far)-The Snow-Man