Thursday, July 14, 2005

Lose Weight on the McDiet

Subway has been doing those "Jared" commercials with the guy that lost weight eating their subs. Wienerschnitzel spoofed them with their "Chili-Dog Diet" promotion. And now a woman claims to have lost 33 pounds on two months of a McDonalds-only diet, in an experience obviously quite different from that of Morgan Spurlock of Super Size Me fame, who GAINED 25 pounds in a month of eating only McFood.


FoxNews: Losing Pounds Under the Golden Arches


So let's get this straight: You can lose weight at Subway; you can gain spectacular amounts of weight at McDonalds; now you can lose a ton at McDonalds as well. In fact, I'll bet you could actually gain weight eating at Subway!

I wish I knew what to believe. I wish there was a place where I could get all the correct information I want without having to worry about what I was actually learning. I've tried mass media, but I got confused by the unacknowledged liberal bias. I've tried talk radio and it's full of overt conservative editorializing and opinions. And new media sources are even less balanced.

It's like I have to actually think about everything now or risk coming to errant conclusions. Just like I have to think about what I eat.


filed: health; media

1 comment:

Huevo said...

The problem we used to have, in the days of 3 nightly news choices for national and international news, was a scarcity of information. If NBC, CBS, or ABC didn't tell you, you probably couldn't know. The problem now is information overload. There is so much info, and so much of it conflicting, that it's hard to sift out the truth.

I think it's good that bloggers and other new media outlets have a voice, but there is, as there always has been, a huge difference between the ability to speak and the ability to be heard. There are too many blogs to read, too many sources to keep track of. I can't even get my own mother to read my blog because there isn't enough time in her day to read my bizarre postings. (I'm just testing you, Mom. If you call me and tell me you saw this, all is forgiven.)

So unless you pick up steam and become a go-to source, like a Drudge Report or a Gizmodo, you're at the mercy of the big search engines. And that's where I think we're going--Google, MSN, and Yahoo are the new big three that influence what most of us see. Most people will depend on somebody to aggregate their information for them, and that's where the power is going.